2.10.2013

Talk about Trust

You may remember your kids slipping on their not-so-good clothes and hauling a pillow, plastic bag, hair clips and bandannas with them to school.  The reason, as I'm sure your kids had explained, is that the crew and I, along with Ms. Pam, made time to cast our faces.  The castings will be used to further explore the artist George Segal and self portrait techniques.    


Remaining calm while someone, in this case a student, gently laid wet plaster strips over my face, completely covering my eyes and mouth, was not an easy task.  My mantra was Breath Easy and my tool for distraction was systematically recalling each state and its capitol.  The struggle was in my head.  The lack of trust had to do with my relationship with myself.  The reason I made it through with out ripping the wet mask off my face and running out the door was I trust the kids in my crew. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by a wonderfully compassionate group of students.  

The scene in Ms. Pam's room was so grown-up.  So much trust and perseverance. You would be so proud of how your child is exemplifying the REMS character traits:

Empathy - To empathize is not just to feel for oneself, but also to feel with and for others.

Stewardship - The careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care.

Integrity - To do the right thing even when nobody is looking.

Beneficence - To bestow your generosity, but as though no such thing as gratitude existed.

Perseverance - To continue an action or belief over a long period and especially despite difficulties or setbacks.

 Here a re few photos from the morning:

 Jeremiah casting Justin

 I believe this Gregory waiting for the cast to dry.

 Kimberly and Tiernan

 Tiernan playing Rock, Paper, Scissors with Conner.  

 Ellie putting the final touches on Hailey